Saturday, August 11, 2007

The countdown is on....slightly more than a week until I officially sell my soul to the UT College of Pharmacy. Not that I didn't really sell out in May, when I agreed to come and work here all summer. As Elisa and I were discussing yesterday, it's so sad that we're really excited about starting class, because we no longer have to go to work every day. Of course we have to sit through hours of classes, including my new biggest fear: Medicinal Chemistry. I feel like I should be studying for the class now, just because I hate Chem almost as much as it hates me. Finally got most of my fees, etc in order Friday and I got out of having titers re-drawn for varicella and hepatitis B. Hope this makes registration go more smoothly.

It's weird. Today I had one of those "I wish I had gone to Mercer moments." I don't know where these come from, but the occur occasionally. I think I was just a little wistful....I mean, if we were in Atlanta getting ready for classes to start, we'd be surrounded by people we know (and love), familiar places, and lots of bars. Of course, maybe that would be a bad thing, I'd hate to be as big of a pharm school slacker as I was in undergrad.

I finally succeeded in wearing the dogs out today. All it took was a long walk in 95 degree heat. Now both of them (and me as well) are positioned in front of the fan. I'm a little unfamiliar with their mid-day schedule since I'm not here alot during the day, but I think we're transitioning into afternoon puppy nap time. Today it could be afternoon Emma nap time too...

2 comments:

Student Nurse Midwife said...

Good eye for Vera Bradley. I love her stuff. It's funny because my best friend in the whole world says I'm the only lesbian *she* knows who carries a purse. I love them. I just got the new Vera print (pink/brown/teal)...I'm not sure what it's called. But it's the wider shoulder bag that can accommodate my laptop.

We haven't found a vet yet -- haven't really needed one. I made sure the dogs were up to date on shots with our old vet before leaving. Plus I've been busy relaxing. I will have to check them out. I got another recommendation from a neighbor with a German/lab mix.

We like Decatur so far. We've been "downtown" a few times -- they have some pretty cool restaurants.

Is midtown the "gay" area?

We went to the Flying Biscuit in Midtown and it just-so-happened to be right across the street from two gay bookstores. Mostly men -- of course -- but lucky anyway. When we came to Atlanta to search for apartments, we also stayed at Hotel Indigo (next to the Fox Theater.) We were in that area and went to some casual dinner place. We saw so many gay men walking around, eating at the restaurant, etc etc. So I have come to the conclusion that Midtown must be the gay epicenter.

Student Nurse Midwife said...

Em -- I love Vera Bradley.

So I picked a good area, huh? We've been mildly social but haven't really been anywhere other than places to eat. ((yawn)) I'm up early to catch a flight home. My two flights got canceled yesterday. So I got to spend an extra day with my family :)

I'm sort of concerned...this lady left a comment on my blog about Emory Univ. getting rid of their midwives in their practice. Dunno what to think about that.

Anyways -- good luck with big kid school. I don't start school until Aug 31st, but I have orientation Aug 28-30th. They also gave us assignments to complete before orientation (haven't started on them yet...lol.)